Thursday, May 9, 2013

Happenings

     It's been lovely living in my cabin. I've been here for a little over a month now and I'm really settling in.  I still have a couple boxes I have not unpacked but hope to get things put away in the next week or two. A lot of items will end up being given away to friends or donated. I really want to minimize what I have. I feel if I have not missed it and it's still packed away then I should probably get rid of it and make more space. So that is my next project.

     I have a new dog! His name is Oscar and he is an 11 week old bull mastiff cross. He is almost as big as Dior already!

     Dior is normally really good about staying in the yard but the other day I had an incident in which he would not listen when I called him in and was a bit stubborn. Then the next day I let them out to potty while I got ready for work and I heard Dior bark his "battle cry". I ran to the door and called them but they didn't come. He obviously saw something and went after it and ran out of ear shot. I hiked all over calling for them and didn't see nor hear them anywhere. After 30 min of calling and searching I called my parents. They came over and while my Dad stayed at the house incase they came back my Mom and I went in Emmy Lou to check with the neighbors and search the back woods. Emmy Lou got to use her 4-wheel drive in the woods since it has been raining a lot lately and it was really soft and muddy. When we got to the neighbors the house keeper said she saw two dogs with orange collars run by less than 5 min ago and that they were headed back toward my property. We went back and drove into the pasture calling again and finally they came through the trees, soaking wet I might add, super happy and jumped right in the back of the Jeep. I was an hour late to work but as soon as I got there I purchased a arial tether for Dior. I don't want to risk him getting out of ear shot and possibly running into the highway, and I can't afford to put up fencing right now. Obviously when I'm out there he can be free, but for the times I need them to potty while I get ready for work I need that extra security.

      While my dad was waiting at the house he did get a good scare. He was getting water off a tarp under a shed that used to cover hay. When he lifted the tarp this little guy/gal was sleeping under there in the warmth of decaying hay. It's a speckled kingsnake. Totally harmless (unless harassed) and beneficial to keep around. It was nice and rotund so I hope it's been feeding well on unwanted snakes and critters. I have a bit of a squirrel problem. They are getting into the walls of the house and in the attic. I also have mice in the house although glitch has been helping with that. Also being near the woods and having a pond near I worry about copperheads and cottonmouths. Kingsnakes are great for keeping poisonous snakes away. They will eat young/smaller snakes.



      I have been planting in the flower beds in front of the house. I have one side planted so far. It has a bit of a purple theme going on. I have purple bee balm, purple salvia, purple coleus and purple heather planted. I also have a tomato plant and basil planted on the back porch. So far I am keeping them alive. My ferns however are dying. My mom told me to cut the dead bits back and the rest will come back... Well I did. I think I have three sprigs left on each one. Of course it didn't help I couldn't water one of them because of these guys ----->
A happy little wren family, although they always seem to be pissed off by the expression on their beaks. They were there for a couple weeks and then flew away. I have many critters around here besides the darn squirrels. I have been seeing rabbits eating the clovers in the front yard, something keeps digging in my tomato pot, there are some massive deer hoof prints in the front and side yard.

Oh and there is a beaver in the pond. I've seen it swimming once so far. We have also been catching some fish in the pond too. It is stocked with bass and bream.

There are still some projects to do including putting up some more fencing for the horse. I'm hoping he will be able to come over soon. My next post will be all about him and what's been going on.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the year here. It's been so much fun so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment